There are a lot of kid-friendly bath bombs and sets that color the water and reveal fun toys, but they can also cost a pretty penny. Here is a simple kit that you can make at home that doesn’t cost a lot when you are making multiple. All of the ingredients are bath-safe and kid-safe (3+), and it turns the entire bathtub into a fun story!
OH, and they make GREAT party favors or small gifts. 😉
The premise for this bath kit is that the recipient should take the bag and dump all of the contents into the bath at once and a melted Christmas tree will slowly appear. They’ll see ornaments (plastic red balls), a tree topper (a yellow foam star), and green water (bath color tabs). While the colored water is a one-time only use, the balls and star can be re-used as bath toys in the future.
NOTE: I made this for 33 sets, but you can follow the steps below to make fewer sets or even more sets. I added how many items you should be able to get from each package to make ordering easier.
Bath Kit Supplies
- Crayola Color Bath Dropz (You’ll be using just the yellow and blue tabs out of this jar, so you can make about 20 bath sets from one jar. We used about 1 1/3 jars to make 33 sets.)
- Craft Foam Sheets in Yellow 3mm Thickness (This package will give you about 35 – 40 yellow stars, and it’s one star per set.)
- PlayMaty Pack of 100 Ball Pit Balls in 2.1″ Red (They have other colors and shapes, so you can change this to whatever you prefer! This pack will give you 33 sets of 3 balls each.)
- Sandwich-sized Resealable Bags (If you can find colored ones that hide the contents, even better!)
Optional Supplies: Bath Snow
If you’d like to add bath snow, which is really just the dry ingredients of bath bombs, you’ll also need the following supplies. These amounts whisked together until fully combined yielded about 1/2 cup of snow for 14 sets. Feel free to increase as needed! The bath snow helps hid the color tablets for a bigger surprise, and it adds a fun fizziness when it dissolves in the water.
- Baking Soda (2 cups): found in the baking aisle
- Citric Acid (1 cup): found in the baking or cleaning aisles OR online
- Epsom Salts (1 cup): found in the healthcare, first aid, or bath aisles
- Corn Starch (1 cup): found in the baking aisle
Steps for Assembling Bath Kits
Step 1: Add three balls, a blue color tab, and a yellow color tab to each resealable bag.
Step 2: Using a cookie cutter or stencil, trace stars onto your foam sheet and cut out the shapes. Add one star to every bag.
Step 4 OPTIONAL: Whisk together your dry ingredients for bath snow in a large mixing bowl. As a reminder, that should be 2 cups of baking soda and 1 cup each of citric acid, epsom salt, and corn starch. You now have bath snow!
Step 5 OPTIONAL: Add 1/2 a cup of your bath snow mixture to each bag.
ALL DONE! Just add a note to let the recipient know the only thing they have to do is empty the entire bag into a bathtub of warm water and enjoy their melted Christmas tree bath.